You are viewing the page for Nov. 8, 2014
  Select another date:
<<back forward>>
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids Internet Shopping Sites high quality binoculars excellent weather stations all-metal reflector telescopes rotatable microscopes
 
Solar wind
speed: 440.4 km/sec
density: 6.3 protons/cm3
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at 2347 UT
X-ray Solar Flares
6-hr max: C4
1755 UT Nov08
24-hr: C4
1755 UT Nov08
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at: 2300 UT
Daily Sun: 08 Nov 14
Sunspot AR2205 has a 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that harbors energy for strong X-class flares. Credit: SDO/HMI
Sunspot number: 96
What is the sunspot number?
Updated 08 Nov 2014

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 0 days
2014 total: 1 day (<1%)
2013 total: 0 days (0%)
2012 total: 0 days (0%)
2011 total: 2 days (<1%)
2010 total: 51 days (14%)
2009 total: 260 days (71%)

Update 08 Nov
2014

The Radio Sun
10.7 cm flux: 146 sfu
explanation | more data
Updated 08 Nov 2014

Current Auroral Oval:
Switch to: Europe, USA, New Zealand, Antarctica
Credit: NOAA/Ovation
Planetary K-index
Now: Kp= 1 quiet
24-hr max: Kp= 2
quiet
explanation | more data
Interplanetary Mag. Field
Btotal: 5.5 nT
Bz: 4.4 nT south
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at 2347 UT
Coronal Holes: 08 Nov 14
There are no large coronal holes on the Earthside of the sun. Credit: SDO/AIA.

Spaceweather.com posts daily satellite images of noctilucent clouds (NLCs), which hover over Earth's poles at the edge of space. The data come from NASA's AIM spacecraft. The north polar "daisy" pictured below is a composite of near-realtime images from AIM assembled by researchers at the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP).
Noctilucent Clouds
Switch view: Europe, USA, Asia, Polar
Updated at: 11-08-2014 10:55:32
SPACE WEATHER
NOAA Forecasts
Updated at: 2014 Nov 08 2200 UTC
FLARE
0-24 hr
24-48 hr
CLASS M
70 %
70 %
CLASS X
30 %
30 %
Geomagnetic Storms:
Probabilities for significant disturbances in Earth's magnetic field are given for three activity levels: active, minor storm, severe storm
Updated at: 2014 Nov 08 2200 UTC
Mid-latitudes
0-24 hr
24-48 hr
ACTIVE
25 %
30 %
MINOR
05 %
35 %
SEVERE
01 %
25 %
High latitudes
0-24 hr
24-48 hr
ACTIVE
15 %
05 %
MINOR
30 %
20 %
SEVERE
30 %
75 %
 
Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014
What's up in space
 

Would you like a call when things are happening in the night sky? Sign up for backyard astronomy alerts from spaceweather.com: voice or text.

 
SpaceweatherPhone

WEEKEND FLARES, ALMOST GUARANTEED: Since it emerged last week, sunspot AR2205 has produced more than a dozen strong flares. The active region has an unstable 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that seems all but certain to erupt again this weekend. NOAA forecasters estimate a 70% chance of M-class flares and a 30% chance of X-flares on Nov. 8th. Solar flare alerts: text, voice

X-FLARE AND CME: On Nov. 7th at 1726 UT, Earth-orbiting satellites detected a strong X1.6-class solar flare. The source was sunspot AR2205. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the explosion's extreme ultraviolet flash:

Radiation from the flare ionized the upper layers of Earth's atmosphere, producing a short-lived HF radio blackout on the dayside of our planet. This is the sort of disturbance that ham radio operators, aviators or mariners might notice.

The explosion also hurled a CME into space at 600 km/s: movie. As CMEs go, this one is neither fast nor is it heading directly toward Earth. At most, we can expect a glancing blow to Earth's magnetosphere in a few days. Even more likely is no impact at all. NOAA analysts are working on a more precise forecast, so stay tuned. Aurora alerts: text, voice

Realtime Aurora Photo Gallery

MARTIAN METEOR SHOWER: Yesterday, NASA held a press conference to discuss what happened when Comet Siding Springs buzzed Mars on Oct. 19, 2014. An international fleet of Mars orbiters observed the encounter using a variety of cameras, radars, and other sensors. Among many findings, the highlight was a "spectacular meteor shower" detected by NASA's MAVEN spacecraft. MAVEN did not actually see streaks of light in the Martian atmosphere--the spacecraft was sheltering behind the body of Mars during the comet's flyby. But when MAVEN emerged, it found a glowing layer of Mg+ (a constituent of meteor smoke) floating 150 km above the planet's surface:

The "smoke" was made of ionized magnesium and other metals shed by the disintegrating meteoroids. The data are consistent with "a few tons of comet dust being deposited in the atmosphere of Mars," says Nick Schneider, the instrument lead for MAVEN's Imaging Ultraviolet Spectrograph at University of Colorado, Boulder. "A human on the surface of Mars might have seen thousands of shooting stars per hour, possibly a meteor storm." He further speculated that the meteor shower would have produced a yellow afterglow in the skies of Mars because the meteor smoke was rich in sodium ions.

Jim Green, the director of NASA's Planetary Science Division in Washington DC says there was a lot more comet dust hitting Mars than researchers expected, pre-flyby. Radars onboard the ESA's Mars Express spacecraft and NASA's Mars Reconnassance Orbiter also detected signs of meteor-related ions. MAVEN and the other spacecraft are continuing to collect data as the atmosphere of Mars recovers from the encounter.

Realtime Comet Photo Gallery


Realtime Space Weather Photo Gallery


Realtime Eclipse Photo Gallery


  All Sky Fireball Network

Every night, a network of NASA all-sky cameras scans the skies above the United States for meteoritic fireballs. Automated software maintained by NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office calculates their orbits, velocity, penetration depth in Earth's atmosphere and many other characteristics. Daily results are presented here on Spaceweather.com.

On Nov. 8, 2014, the network reported 24 fireballs.
(19 sporadics, 4 Northern Taurids, 1 November omega Orionid)

In this diagram of the inner solar system, all of the fireball orbits intersect at a single point--Earth. The orbits are color-coded by velocity, from slow (red) to fast (blue). [Larger image] [movies]

  Near Earth Asteroids
Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) are space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU. None of the known PHAs is on a collision course with our planet, although astronomers are finding new ones all the time.
On November 8, 2014 there were 1511 potentially hazardous asteroids.
Recent & Upcoming Earth-asteroid encounters:
Asteroid
Date(UT)
Miss Distance
Size
2014 UA176
Nov 6
4.8 LD
18 m
2014 UX57
Nov 6
3.6 LD
23 m
2014 UD192
Nov 9
3.1 LD
28 m
2004 JN13
Nov 18
52.4 LD
4.1 km
1998 SS49
Nov 18
73.9 LD
3.1 km
2005 UH3
Nov 22
44.4 LD
1.3 km
Notes: LD means "Lunar Distance." 1 LD = 384,401 km, the distance between Earth and the Moon. 1 LD also equals 0.00256 AU. MAG is the visual magnitude of the asteroid on the date of closest approach.
  Essential web links
NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center
  The official U.S. government space weather bureau
Atmospheric Optics
  The first place to look for information about sundogs, pillars, rainbows and related phenomena.
Solar Dynamics Observatory
  Researchers call it a "Hubble for the sun." SDO is the most advanced solar observatory ever.
STEREO
  3D views of the sun from NASA's Solar and Terrestrial Relations Observatory
Solar and Heliospheric Observatory
  Realtime and archival images of the Sun from SOHO.
Daily Sunspot Summaries
  from the NOAA Space Environment Center
Heliophysics
  the underlying science of space weather
Space Weather Alerts
   
  more links...
©2010 Spaceweather.com. All rights reserved. This site is penned daily by Dr. Tony Phillips.
©2013 Spaceweather.com. All rights reserved.